The winners of the 2014 B&N Discover Awards have been announced!
Details of the new funding programs, called Catalyst and Discovery awards, were outlined in an announcement sent to the Johns Hopkins community today by Daniels, , and the deans and directors of the university's divisions.
Our judging committee will select three nominees for each category, in which all of whom will be invited to join us at the Discovery Awards gala on November 17th. At the Discovery Awards gala, where we will announce our finalists.
Discover Financial Awards and Recognition | Discover
- Participate in at least two Tier II or Tier III adventures at the
crew, district, council, area, regional, or national level.
- Complete the following:
- Complete a standard CPR course such as American Red Cross -
First Aid/CPR/AED for Schools and the Community or the American
Heart Association - Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED or an
- Complete a standard first aid course such as the American Red
Cross Standard First Aid or equivalent course.
- Complete the Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews
course (or an equivalent).
- Complete the Goal-Setting and Time Management training courses.
- Complete Crew Officers Orientation.
- Personal Growth
- Complete a structured personal reflection, and use this
reflection and what you learned from the process to prepare for goal
setting and as part of your Discovery Award Advisor conference. Explore
one of the following areas: Development of Faith,* Development of Self,
and Development of Others.
- In consultation with your Advisor, establish at least one personal
goal, and achieve it. The goal should be grounded in the area you explored
in Discovery Award Personal Growth requirement 6.
- Participate in service activities totaling at least 24
hours. Up to half of the service may be delivered personally; the rest
must be delivered through crew service activities.
- Advisor Conference and Board of Review
Upon completion of the Adventure, Leadership, Personal Growth, and Service
requirements, complete the following.
- Since earning the Venturing Award, participate in a conference
with your Advisor.* As a part of this conference, discuss with your
Advisor the challenges you faced and what you learned in fulfilling
Personal Growth requirements 6 and 7.
- After your Advisor conference, successfully complete a crew board
Discover Scholarship Award | Discover Student Loans
Get ready for the 14th Annual Discovery Awards for Science, Technology and Innovation. The brightest will be awarded in the following categories: Professional of Distinction, Emerging Professional, Innovation and Science Champion. Additionally, we will give out a Youth Award and induct two outstanding professional into Science Hall of Fame.
More than ever, the answers to the most challenging questions cannot be accomplished entirely within one academic discipline, or even one division. The Johns Hopkins Discovery Awards provide grant awards to cross-divisional teams, comprised of faculty and/or non-faculty members from at least two schools or affiliates of the university, who are poised to arrive at important discoveries or creative works. The expectation is that these awards will spark new, synergistic interactions between investigators across the institution and lead to work of the highest quality and impact. These awards are not intended to support already established projects or minimal extensions of ongoing research or professional programs.